Mr. LTC
Insurance Agents Join Our Network
Let Care be our Long Term Commitment
Mr. LTC

Looking for a Great Policy for a Great Price?
Let Us Help! Request your Instant Long-Term Care Quote!

I can safely say that the purchase of my LTC insurance was the wisest and most forward-thinking, financial decision of my life. - Mr. LTC

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: LTC Eligibility For 86-Year Old Male?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:40 am 

My father is 86 years old and is a stroke victim. He needs daily care for several reasons like bathing and toileting. He also has atrial fibrilation. We have care givers helping the family on a daily basis. He's made some rehab progress in the last few months, and being somewhat independent again seems possible. The nursing agency that's supplying the caregivers has suggested that we explore acquiring LTC.

Now, to my way of thinking, the possibility of our being able to acquire LTC at this point seems very unlikely... I would compare it to trying to buy a cancer insurance policy after being diagnosed with cancer. But, maybe I'm all wrong. Is there anything that we can purchase that would help with my Dad's homecare given his situation? Strictly in a "ball park estimate" context, what might it cover and to what extent?

Although he's a Pennsylvania resident "officially" and a retired state employee... and that's where he was orignally hospitalized for the stroke, he's now receiving his care in Arizona where my brother and I live and has been doing so since 1/29/2009. Any insight into the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: LTC Eligibility For 86-Year Old Male?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:31 am 

Sorry for the situation you are in. Long Term Care insurance is not an option. You were supposed to make sure he bought it when he was younger and healthier.

I am unaware of carriers going beyond 84 as an offer age..but of course you have to health qualify at any age. Having a stroke and needing the level of care he needs would certainly make him ineligible. It's like calling a home owners insurance agent and telling him your house is on fire and you would like to buy home insurance to cover the damage.

If your dad is broke, you have Medicaid to fall back on....else you are about as stuck as I am with my 93 year mom in assisted living. My dad did not believe in LTC either. We pay for it all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:52 am 

Thanks for your input, Yankee. You more or less confirmed my assumption that LTC was not available to us... the "house on fire" was a good analogy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:49 pm 

Ron,
Based on what you know, you should be looking into the purchase of a LTC policy for yourself. Meet with an independent broker who specializes in LTC insurance in your state. Make sure he/she represents multiple carriers.
Good luck with your dad.
Arthur